TSI Exemptions and Assessment
Not all incoming students need to take the TSI Assessment. Students with a TSI Assessment exemption can enroll in any entry-level college course.
- Graduated college with an associate or baccalaureate degree.
- Have earned a C or higher in a college-level course at an accredited institution.
- Previously attended college and have been determined to have met college readiness standards by that institution.
- Are enrolling in a Level 1 certificate program and taking courses ONLY in the certificate award plan.
- Are serving active duty as a member of the armed forces or Veteran Status.
- Completed an approved test with the minimum score needed for TSI exemption. See tests and scores below.
Test Score Exemptions
The following tests can be used to exempt you from one or more parts of the TSI Assessment. Exams must have been completed within the previous five years.
Upload your eligible tests score. (uploaded test scores must be a PDF file.)
Minimum Scores Eligible for TSI Assessment Exemption
- Evidence-Based Reading Writing 480 – exempt from TSIA Reading & Writing
- Math Exemption 530 – exemption from TSIA Math
- Composite 23 with English 19 - exempt from TSIA Reading & Writing
- Composite 23 with Math 19 - exempt from TSIA Math
- Reasoning Through Language Arts 165 - exempt from TSIA Reading & Writing
- Mathematical Reasoning 165 – exempt from TSIA Math
- Reading 15 & Writing 15 with a 4 on the essay - exempt from TSIA Reading & Writing
- Mathematics 15 - exempt from TSIA Math
STARR end-of-course (EOC)
- English III Level 2 score of 4000 - exempt from TSIA Reading & Writing
- Algebra II Level 2 score of 4000 - exempt from TSIA Math
TSI Complete Scores
You have completed Texas Success Initiative requirements for a subject area if you earn the minimum scores listed below:
Passing TSIA Scores Before Jan.11, 2021
- Math 350
- Reading 351 & Writing 340 with a 4 on the essay
Passing TSIA2 Scores After Jan. 11, 2021
- Math 950 or less than 950 with Diagnostic level of 6
- ELAR 945 and Essay score of 5; or less than 945 and Diagnostic level of 5-6 and Essay score of 5
For more information visit Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
Still have questions? Contact the Admissions office by phone at 409-933-8264 or email at email@example.com.
The Texas Success Initiative Assessment
The TSI Assessment 2.0 has three sections, the ELAR (English, language arts, and reading), an essay response, and a math portion. Assessments include multiple-choice questions and an essay response aligned to the Texas College and Career Readiness Standards.
TSIA Testing Accommodations
- All accommodations must be approved BEFORE scheduling a TSIA appointment.
- Contact Disability Services for accommodation approval and scheduling.
Steps to schedule a TSIA exam
Step 1: Complete the Mandatory TSIA Pre-Assessment
All students must take a pre-assessment to be eligible to take the TSIA Exam. Complete the TSI Pre-Assessment and email your certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org before you take the TSIA.
- Sign up for a free account with Accuplacer: TSIA pre-assessment
- Select “Texas Success Initiative 2.0 Pre-Assessment Activity"
It is the 3rd link on the page
Step 2: Sign up to test
- Click here to schedule to take TSI Assessment
- After scheduling your appointment, check your COM student email for appointment details.
TSIA Exam Fee
- Complete TSIA – $29
- Per-Section – $10
Step 3: Study for your TSIA exams
Need to transfer your TSIA scores to College of the Mainland?
Click here to send us your scores.
Are you taking the TSIA for another institution?
Individuals who need their TSIA proctored for another college or university can do so at the COM Testing Center. Testing Services charges a $29 proctor fee to administer the exam.
- Contact your institution to receive a TSIA Remote Voucher.
- After receiving your TSIA Remote Voucher, schedule your exam here.
- Bring a valid photo ID
High School Testing Information
Potential Dual Credit and Collegiate High School students may contact their College Connection Advisor for more TSIA testing information.