The Texas Success Initiative Assessment
The TSI Assessment 2.0 has three sections, the ELAR (English, language arts, and reading), an essay response, and a math portion. Assessments include multiple-choice questions and an essay response aligned to the Texas College and Career Readiness Standards.
TSIA Testing Accommodations
- All accommodations must be approved BEFORE scheduling a TSIA appointment.
- Contact for accommodation approval and scheduling.
Step 1: Complete the Mandatory TSIA Pre-Assessment
All students must take a pre-assessment to be eligible to take the TSIA Exam. Complete the TSI Pre-Assessment before requesting to take the TSIA.
Step 2: Sign up to test on-campus or at home through an online proctor
- Click here to schedule to take TSI Assessment on Campus
- After scheduling your appointment, check your COM student email for appointment details.
- Click here to request to take TSI Assessment at home (computer required)
The link to test at home is a voucher request form.
Schedule your online proctored exam after receiving your Examity voucher (scheduling instructions included in voucher).
Additional fees apply.
TSIA Exam Fee
- Complete TSIA – $29
- Per-Section – $10
Examity proctor fee- $25
- This fee only applies to students testing through the online proctor, Examity. This fee, paid to Examity at the time of scheduling, is in addition to the COM TSIA fee.
Step 3: Study for your TSIA exams
Not all incoming students need to take the TSI Assessment. Students with a TSI Assessment exemption can enroll in any entry-level college course.
- Graduated college with a degree or have earned a C or higher in a college-level course at an accredited institution.
- Previously attended college and have been determined to have met college readiness standards by that institution.
- Are enrolling in a Level 1 certificate program and taking courses ONLY in the certificate award plan.
- Are serving active duty as a member of the armed forces or Veteran Status.
- Completed the SAT, ACT, or other approved assessment exam with the minimum score needed for TSI exemption.
Test Score Exemptions
The following tests can be used to exempt you from one or more parts of the TSI Assessment. Exams must have been completed within the previous five years.
Minimum Scores Eligible for TSI Assessment Exemption
SAT (March 2016 and later)
Reading & Writing Exemption 480 Evidence-Based Reading Writing Math Exemption 530 Exemption
Reading & Writing Exemption 23 Composite with 19 English
Math Exemption 23 Composite with 19 Math
TSI Complete Scores
You have completed Texas Success Initiative requirements for a subject area if you earn the minimum scores listed below:
Passing TSIA Scores Before Jan.11, 2021
• Math 350
• Reading 351, and Writing 340, and Essay 4
Passing TSIA2 Scores After Jan. 11, 2021
• Math950 or -950/ Diagnostic level of 6
• ELAR 945 and Essay score of 5; or -945 and Diagnostic level of 5-6 and Essay score of 5
Still have questions? Contact the Admissions office by phone at 409-933-8264 or email at email@example.com.
Need to transfer your TSIA scores to College of the Mainland?
Are you taking the TSIA for another institution?
Individuals who need their TSIA proctored for another college or university can do so at the COM Testing Center. Testing Services charges a $29 proctor fee to administer the exam.
- Contact your institution to receive a TSIA Remote Voucher.
- After receiving your TSIA Remote Voucher, schedule your exam here.
- Bring a valid photo ID
High School Testing Information
Potential Dual Credit and Collegiate High School students may contact their College Connection Advisor for more TSIA testing information.