Veterans Center

COM Veterans Center is a One-Stop Shop.

We offer the following services:

  • Assistance applying to COM, selecting your career path, and registering for classes
  • Assitance applying for VA benefits, financial aid and scholarships
  • Use of center computers and printer
  • Connections to other veterans organizations and resources
  • Free coffee and snacks
  • Study room with television monitors
  • Conference room
  • Certification of benefits


Information on Benefits

The United States Department of Education requires standards of satisfactory progress for students who receive federal funds. Measures must include the student's total academic history, regardless of whether the student received financial aid at the time. In compliance with federal regulations, College of the Mainland has established a policy applicable to all financial aid recipients including those who have accepted student loans and those who work on campus and are not eligible for federal funding.

Visit the Financial Aid Policies page to learn more about satisfactory academic progress.

Hazlewood Act

The Hazlewood Act assists Texas veterans and their eligible dependent children and spouses. Click on the Hazlewood benefits link to see eligibility requirements.

Request your Hazlewood application packet at our office, or through

Federal VA Benefits

COM accepts the following VA benefits: Chapter 30, 31, 33, 35 and 1606; TA from all military branches, and the MyCAA scholarship.

Visit to apply for your benefits.

Tuition Assistance

Active-duty service members may be eligible for military Tuition Assistance. This benefit may cover up to $250 per credit hour, for up to 18 credit hours per year, and up to a maximum amount of $4500 per fiscal year (October 1 – September 30). TA covers tuition and most fees but does not cover books.

Here are the steps to get started:

  1. Click on your military branch’s website and read the eligibility requirements. The site will also direct you to the application form or procedures for your branch.
  2. Once you are approved for TA by your Education Services Officer, you will usually receive a payment voucher for payment. (Some branches will only pay as a reimbursement after your course is successfully completed.)
  3. Enroll to attend College of the Mainland.
  4. Call to schedule an advising appointment with our dedicated Veterans Advisor: 409-933-8455. Be sure to bring your TA Payment Voucher with you to this meeting. Your advisor will assist you to register for classes and will accept your voucher. (Students who are paid by reimbursement will need to set up a payment plan for their classes.)
  5. NOTE: Dropping classes may result in a debt to the college and/or the Department of Defense.
On-Campus Resources
Community Resources
  • Mental Health Hotline: 9-8-8
  • Shelter, clothing, food insecurity: 2-1-1
  • Veterans Crisis Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
MyCAA Scholarship for Spouses

The My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 in financial assistance to eligible military spouses for the pursuit or maintenance (including continuing education courses) of a license, certification, or associate's degree necessary to gain employment in an occupation or career field.

Visit the MyCAA website to determine eligibility and the procedures required to apply.

You may call 409-933-8455 to schedule an appointment with our dedicated Academic Advisor to create a “MyCAA Education and Training Plan.”

Contact Details

Veterans Center

College of the Mainland
Doyle Family Administration Building
Suite 113
Click here for campus map

Hours of Operation

Monday-Tuesday: 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Wednesday-Friday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

College of the Mainland employees will refrain from high-pressure recruitment tactics such as making multiple unsolicited contacts (3 or more), including contacts by phone, email, or in-person, and engaging in same-day recruitment and registration for the purpose of securing Service member enrollments.

Stay Connected with COM: