Frequently Asked Questions in Financial Aid

How do I apply for financial aid?
To apply for financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority dates. The website to apply is
What are the priority deadlines for financial aid applications?
Fall — June 1
Spring — Nov. 1
Summer — May 1
What is College of the Mainland’s FAFSA school code?
Our school code is 007096
How many hours do I need to take to receive financial aid?
Students can be enrolled less than half time (6 hours) and still receive aid, except for the student loan program. The William D. Ford Federal Direct/PLUS loan programs require you to be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours that are required for completing your certificate/degree.
Will I have to provide additional documents for my financial aid application?
Students selected for verification by the U. S. Department of Education must provide transcripts of the student’s and, if required, the parents’ federal income tax returns plus any other income information received by the student’s/parents’ household as required by their financial aid counselor.
Do I have to provide my parents’ financial information on the FAFSA?
When students complete the FAFSA, they will answer a series of questions that will determine their dependency status. If a student is considered “dependent,” then their parents’ information must be provided on the FAFSA.
How do I check my financial aid status?
You can log in to your WebAdvisor account and go to the “Financial Aid Checklist” (under the Financial Aid heading) to get updates on the status of your financial aid application. First-time users must follow the instructions on how to obtain your WebAdvisor ID and password on the WebAdvisor home page. WebAdvisor allows students to:
  • View financial aid status
  • Register online for classes
  • View grades
  • View schedule and bill
  • Pay tuition and fees online
When do I receive my refund checks?
Delivery of refund money is a multi-step process. First, COM draws funds from the respective loan and/or grant provider and applies it to your student account. Once this information is verified, it is sent to BankMobile Disbursements. Once the specific refund information is received, it is processed and disbursed according to your selection.
How do I buy books or supplies with my financial aid award?
Students who have a financial aid award may buy their books at the campus Bookstore one week prior to classes. As long as the student’s financial aid award is more than the cost of their tuition and fees, their financial aid refund will be applied towards their bookstore charges. For assistance in obtaining appropriate materials, students must bring their class schedule to Bookstore personnel.
How can I submit documents to complete my financial aid file?
Documents can be scanned and emailed to the Financial Aid Office at
What if I need help completing the FAFSA?
Contact Financial Aid Office at (409-933-8533) or by email to schedule a virtual appointment to receive live assistance.
How do I complete the Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note to receive Student Loans?
Visit Federal Student Aid  to complete Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note.
How do I submit the TASFSA application?
Visit College for all Texans to download the 2021-22 TASFA application. Complete and email complete application to