Basic Peace Officer
The Peace Officer Academy is designed to provide graduates the necessary basic training to obtain a position as a police officer, constable, deputy sheriff or any other licensed peace officer position within the state of Texas.
All courses must be taken together and successfully passed for the graduate to test for state licensure.
Who Should Attend
- You feel a calling to help those in your community
- You want a career that is evolving, dynamic and exciting
- You want a career with opportunity to advance and specialize
- You have a strong sense of duty, honor and compassion
- Students must apply to COM and complete the College requirements for entry.
- Applicants must pass a criminal history background check and meet state requirements for entry.
- Applicants need a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate. Consider contacting the Adult Basic Education office if you do not meet the diploma requirement at 409-933-8294.
- Information regarding specific state requirements can be obtained by calling 409-933-8299 or 409-933-8285 at the Law Enforcement Training Center.
Occupational summary for Police Officer
Our substantial ﬁnancial support makes our programs more affordable than you think.
Explore our financial resources to learn how we can make your journey toward higher education more manageable.
We look forward to assisting you in meeting your educational goals!
Your Journey Begins Here
Big change starts at College of the Mainland
Day credit academies begin each January and July. Night noncredit academies begin each February.
- Apply to COM at www.com.edu/apply and submit the necessary documents (transcripts, meningitis vaccination if under 22 and proof of Texas residency). Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Complete the application packet (which can be picked up at the Public Service Careers Building). Email the packet and all necessary documentation to email@example.com or deliver it to the Public Service Careers Building. Students must pass a criminal background check and a state requirement, as well as a physical and psychological exam to be admitted.
We want to hear from you! Our team is here to help you navigate through the process. Submit our contact form if you have a question or would like more information about a specific program at COM.