The Voice of the Prairie (online streaming only)
Sept. 24 – Oct. 11, 2020
by John Olive
An adventure about storytelling: As the play begins, an old hobo named Poppy by his avid companion, young Davey Quinn, is telling a tall tale. It is the early 1890s and itinerant story tellers like Poppy are the voices of the prairie. Years later, Davey is discovered by Leon Schwab, a radio entrepreneur, while he is telling stories about Poppy and Frankie, a blind girl he rescued from a cruel father. Through the new medium of radio, Quinn becomes famous on radio as the Voice of the Prairie. Fatefully, Frankie reenters his life and a new adventure ensues in this tale of love, loss and redemption.
The COM Theatre announces the upcoming 2019-2020 season:
- "The Voice of the Prairie" by John Olive (Online Streaming Only)
- "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" by Tom Stoppard
- "Pump Boys and Dinettes" Book, Lyrics, and Music by John Foley, Mark Hardwick, Debra Monk, Cass Morgan, John Schimmel, and Jim Wann
- "Taking Leave" by Nagle Jackson
- "Master Harold and the Boys" by Athol Fugard
- "Urinetown" Music by Mark Hollmann, Lyrics by Mark Hollmann and Greg Kotis, Book by Greg Kotis
Theatre Box Office
Call the Box Office at 409-933-8345 or 1-888-258-8859, ext. 8345.
Since 1972, COM Community Theatre has presented over 228 productions including children's theatre, concerts and workshops with attendance of more than a quarter of a million people. The theatre has been recognized as one of America's leading community theatres, setting high production standards and developing one of this country's most innovative programs.
Beyond education, the College of the Mainland Theatre bears a three-fold commitment: to provide quality theatrical experiences for residents of the area, to offer a forum for local and regional talent by holding open auditions and to extend the reputation of College of the Mainland.