Resources for Students with Disabilities
A technology-based consulting firm, specializing in creating employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities, in the information technology, engineering, finance/accounting, and various other competitive employment areas.
A national network of centers that provide information, referrals, resources and training on the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Emerging Leaders is a highly competitive program that places undergraduate and graduate students with disabilities in fulfilling summer internships and provides them with leadership development opportunities. Emerging Leaders partners with businesses to help them find outstanding new talent while also considering diversity and inclusion in their hiring practices.
A national employment portal connecting job seekers with employers.
Offers information on job accommodations for employees and employers.
A digital profile service created to promote future employment for people with disabilities through work-to-hire programs, helping to recruit future employees and implementing inclusion education for existing employees.
The US Business Leadership Network (USBLN) is national nonprofit that helps business drive performance by leveraging disability inclusion in the workplace, supply chain, and marketplace.
Job listing for the federal government and information for individuals with disabilities that are seeking employment with the federal government.
State and Local Resources
- National Council on Disability
- Education USA
- U.S. Dept of Health & Human Services
- Texas Health & Human Services
- Texas Dept of Housing & Human Services
- Texas Dept. of Family and Protective Services
- Navigate Life Texas
- Disability Rights Texas
- AHEAD Association on Higher Education and Disability
- Olmstead Rights
Adult Day Centers
Independent School District Transition and Employment Designees for the Galveston County region are:
- Santa Fe ISD, Tiffanie Pitre - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Texas City, Janice Johnston- email@example.com
- Hitchcock ISD, L Moody - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dickinson ISD, Georgeanna Santarelli – email@example.com
- Friendswood ISD, Jann Davies- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clear Creek ISD, Kim Rodgers - KRODGERS@ccisd.net
- Galveston ISD, Terry Stokes - email@example.com
More information can be found in the Texas Transition Guide www.texastransition.org
Helpful Information and Numbers
To request forms to apply for Social Security benefits:
For assistance with Social Security questions and questions on independent living resources:
- Harris County Independent Living
- Brazoria County Independent Living
- Galveston County Independent Living
For assistance for blind or visually impaired students:
Division for Blind Services
For long-term issues related to mental retardation/mental health:
- MHMRA of Harris County
- Gulf Coast Center (for Brazoria and Galveston Counties)
- Department of Aging and Disability Services
713-692-1635 or 409-943-2830
For assistance with issues related to transition from high school to work for students with disabilities:
Division for Rehabilitative Services
For students capable of working without assistance needing job information:
8231 Broadway, 713-847-6118
- Pasadena/Clear Lake
103 Pasadena Town Square, 713-472-1608
4700 Broadway, 409-770-9915
- Texas City
3549 Palmer Hwy, 409-949-9055
Or apply online at www.workintexas.com.