The state of Texas requires that each student sign an affidavit certifying his or her legal residence at the time of enrollment. The responsibility for registering under the proper residence classification belongs with the student and any question concerning the right to classification as a resident of Texas or the College of the Mainland District must be clarified before enrolling.

Students must live in Texas at least 12 months prior to registration to be classified as state residents. The state auditor requires additional documentation to support the oath of residency. The following documents are acceptable:

  • Driver's license (12 months prior)
  • Voter registration card
  • Property purchase
  • Rental agreement
  • Utility bills


Residents of the College of the Mainland District and the state of Texas. To be a legal resident of the College of the Mainland District, a person must reside in the Dickinson, Hitchcock, La Marque, Santa Fe or Texas City school districts.

District Map

View/Download District Map

Student Information Change

Students can update their contact information by filling out the Student Information Change form.

Nonresidents of District

Residents of the state of Texas but not residents of the College of the Mainland District.

Nonresidents of Texas

Texas law defines a nonresident student of Texas as a U.S. citizen less than 18 years of age who lives away from his or her family and whose family has not resided in Texas 12 months preceding the date of registration, or a student 18 years of age or older who resides out of state or who has not been a resident of the state 12 months subsequent to his or her 18th birthday or for the 12 months immediately preceding the date of registration.

International Students

Noncitizens who cannot be classified as residents of Texas or the United States. Any question concerning residency should be referred to the Office of Admissions and Records.

Residency Status

Residency status is determined in accordance with Rules and Regulations for Determining Residency Status, published by the Texas Higher Education, Coordinating Board, and pursuant to Title 3, Texas Education Code. Information concerning residence requirements is available in the Office of Admissions and Records.