Promise Program FAQ
- What is the Opening Doors Promise Scholarship?
The Opening Doors Promise Scholarship is a “last-dollar” scholarship opportunity that covers the cost of tuition and fees for any eligible Class of 2021 graduating high school student pursuing full-time studies at COM. Participating students can earn an associate degree or complete a workforce training certificate program.
Funding is available to local high school graduates attending public, private, GED, charter or home-schools who reside in Texas City, La Marque, Hitchcock, Dickinson or Santa Fe the year that they graduate. Students must meet eligibility requirements to receive the scholarship award.
- What is a “last-dollar” award?
- A last-dollar award means that all other grant and scholarship monies will be applied for tuition and fees before the Promise Scholarship funds are used. The Promise Scholarship does not cover books or supplies.
- What are the eligibility requirements for this scholarship?
- Class of 2021 graduate
- Texas City, La Marque, Hitchcock, Dickinson, or Santa Fe residing high school seniors
- La Marque High School students, regardless of residence
- GED, public, private, home or charter school students
- GED students must be between the ages of 17-19
- No income or high school GPA requirement
- Why is this scholarship program needed in our community?
- Working with community partners, the Opening Doors Promise Scholarship will address the growing need for accessible education in our region by allowing students access to a high-quality and affordable college education. In turn, the scholarship will support the sustainability of our thriving community as college is a critical conduit to better-paying careers, long-term economic growth and a fulfilling lifestyle.
- I attend La Marque High School, but I do not live in the City of La Marque. Am I eligible for the Opening Doors Promise Scholarship?
- Yes, any student who attends and graduates from La Marque High School in academic year 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 is eligible to apply for the Opening Doors Promise Scholarship, including Bayou Vista and Tiki Island students. Any La Marque High School student is eligible, regardless of their city of residence.
- I need help filling out the FAFSA application. What resources are available help me with the application?
- We have an experienced team of financial aid specialists here to guide you through your FAFSA experience. Visit www.com.edu/financial-aid to find a collection of helpful resources including how-to videos and frequently asked questions. You can also email us at email@example.com or call 409-933-8274 for additional assistance.
- Once I become an Opening Doors Promise Scholar at COM, what is required for me to maintain my eligibility?
- To maintain eligibility once the scholarship is awarded, students must be enrolled full time and maintain at least 12 credit hours. After completing the first year at COM, students must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- Once I begin the scholarship, can I stop and start again?
- No, a student must attend consecutively. In other words, they must attend full time in the fall and spring to be eligible.
- Are there any important dates that I should remember?
April 6 – Registration for fall 2021 begins.
July 1 – All admission and financial aid application requirements must be complete.
July 15 – Scholarship award notices will be sent to students via COM student email.
- Am I eligible for the Promise Scholarship if I recently moved to the area?
- Maybe. If you currently reside in Texas City, La Marque or Hitchcock you must have either graduated from high school or completed your High School Equivalency in academic year 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 to be eligible. If you live in Dickinson or Santa Fe, then you must be a 2021 graduate.