Student Services Coronavirus FAQs
- Can I still have academic advising and career planning sessions with my advisor?
Absolutely! We are readily available to assist you in both career and academic planning. Please continue to schedule appointments with your assigned advisor to further discuss your academic plans for the upcoming semester. At this time, all advising appointments (including TRIO, Veteran Services, Student Success Center Advisors, and the Advisor for MM4E) will be conducted virtually. All contact information for the advisors can be found on our website at www.com.edu/student-services/academic-advising.
- How do I make an appointment with an Academic Advisor?
- You can make an appointment with your assigned advisor through the Navigate app, or at www.com.edu/navigate. When you log in to Student Planner, your assigned advisor is listed at the top of the screen.
- How can I drop a class?
Reach out to your academic advisor regarding your academic progress and to discuss dropping the class. If you choose to move forward with your request to drop after having met virtually with your advisor, send an email requesting your advisor drop the course for you. If you do not request to drop your class(s) in writing, it will not be processed.
Admissions and Records
- How do I submit missing documents to complete my COM application?
Official college transcripts can be mailed or sent electronically from the institution to COM. Shot records or test scores can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
College of the Mainland
Attn: Admissions and Records
1200 Amburn Road
Texas City, Texas 77591
- How can I get an official transcript?
Current students should log into their WebAdvisor account to submit a request for an electronic transcript. Electronic transcripts can be sent to most colleges within the state of Texas within 1-2 business days.
Former and current students requesting a paper transcript can fill out the transcript request form found at https://www.com.edu/admissions/academic-records. Paper transcripts will be mailed once a week. Transcripts will not be released in person or emailed.
- How do I update my student record?
- The student change form can be found at www.com.edu/admissions/academic-records
- How do I clear a hold in order to retrieve a transcript?
- If you have questions regarding a hold on your record, please email email@example.com. Emails are checked daily.
- How do I submit my student loan deferment?
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can I apply for graduation?
- Yes, please apply via WebAdvisor or schedule an appointment with your advisor. Information regarding the ceremony will be posted and updated on www.com.edu/graduates. The December 2020 graduation ceremony will be held in some form, either virtual, in-person or hybrid. More graduation information will be forthcoming.
- How can I request a duplicate diploma?
- Please email email@example.com. There is a $15 fee. The Business Office will contact you to collect payment over the phone.
- Can I still apply for Fall semester at College of the Mainland?
- Absolutely! Please go to www.applytexas.org. Your application will be processed within 2-3 business days.
- How do I get an unofficial transcript?
- Former students can log into WebAdvisor with their user ID and their social security number (with dashes) as the password. To obtain your user ID, click on “What’s My User ID/COM ID?”
College Connections – High School and Dual Credit Students
- Who do I contact with questions regarding the Dual Credit Program?
- If you have specific questions regarding Dual Credit registration or the Dual Credit enrollment process, please contact your College Connections advisor. A listing of the College Connection Advisors by school, along their contact information can be found at www.com.edu/college-connections.
- How do Dual Credit students drop their Fall 2020 classes?
- Dual Credit students must contact their high school counselor to initiate the withdrawal from a Dual Credit course, and the counselor will complete a Dual Credit schedule change form and email it to your high school’s assigned College Connections advisor. For more information, please visit the Dual Credit webpage at www.com.edu/dual-credit. If you need your College Connections advisor’s contact information please visit the College Connections webpage at www.com.edu/college-connections or call 409-933-8286.
- How Can I receive assistance completing the Apply Texas for enrollment at COM?
- You can email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disability Services and Counseling
- Where Can I Receive Information about Disability Services?
- Please visit our website at www.com.edu/disability-services to obtain information on establishing Services for Students with Disabilities. You can also contact our Counselor for Students with Disabilities, Holly Bankston, at email@example.com with questions regarding services.
- What happens to my academic accommodations if my classes move to an online format?
- If you have been approved for and received accommodations, your accommodations will continue. You may need different accommodations that had not been identified as necessary for you to access your course. The counselor for Services for Students with Disabilities will work collaboratively with you and your faculty to assist you and provide the support you need. For additional information regarding services, please contact our counselor for Services for Students with Disabilities, Holly Bankston, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Where can I access Counseling Resources?
- We have a variety of community and mental health resources for students, which can be found on our webpage at https://www.com.edu/counseling/community-resources. If you would like additional information regarding services, please contact our Holly Bankston, Counselor at email@example.com.
- Will I be notified of my fall 2020 financial aid status?
- Yes, Financial Aid Office is processing 2020-21 applications and students that need additional documentation to be processed will be notified of their status via their COM email account. Award notices will begin by May 1st.
- How can I submit documents to complete my financial aid file?
- Documents can be scanned and emailed to the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Will I owe money or will i have to return any of my financial aid if I withdraw from my spring 2020 classes due to COVID-19?
- No, students will not be required to return any portion of unearned grant or loan assistance for withdrawing because of a qualifying emergency
- How do I apply for financial aid?
- Apply for financial aid by completing a FAFSA application at www.fafsa.gov. College of the Mainland school code is 007096.
- What if I need help completing the FAFSA?
- Contact Financial Aid Office at (409-933-8533) or by email email@example.com to schedule a virtual appointment to receive live assistance.
- How do I accept my financial aid?
- Log into your WebAdvisor account to view and accept financial aid award. Students must accept awards prior payment deadline to avoid being dropped for non-payment.
- How do I complete the Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note to receive Student Loans?
- Visit https://studentaid.gov/h/complete-aid-process to complete Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note.
- How do I submit the TASFSA form?
- Visit http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/DocID/PDF/12712.PDF to complete the TASFA form. Complete and email complete application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How do I apply for financial aid to cover a continuing education course?
- Visit https://www.com.edu/financial-aid/forms to complete the 20-21 TPEG-CE request form. Student must complete FAFSA and complete all other aid requirements to qualify.
- Will students be able to work as a workstudy student for fall semester?
- For student and staff safety, workstudy placement is postponed until further notice.
- I was supposed to attend New Student Orientation on campus. What do I need to do?
- Email NSO@com.edu to receive further instructions.
- Can I still receive a Student ID?
- During this time, Student Life will not be issuing Student ID’s.
- Can I still get a parking permit?
- During this time, Student Life will not be issuing parking permits.
- Are there going to be any campus activities, events or trips?
- During this time all on campus activities and trips have been canceled. Student Life will still be holding virtual events and workshops. Look for announcements for these in the following places:
When you log in your Blackboard
In your COM email
Student Life website page
Student Life Facebook page
- Are Student Government Association and other clubs and organizations still meeting?
- Yes, they will continue meeting virtually. If you need information on when and how your club or organization is meeting, please e-mail Kari Starz at email@example.com.
- How can I take the HESI A2 for the COM Nursing program?
- Testing Services is offering the HESI A2 via remote proctor through Proctor U. To begin the process, please go to hesireg.youcanbook.me.
- How can I take the TSI Assessment?
- College of the Mainland will offer TSI Assessment testing through Examity, an online proctoring service. Photo ID will be required. All testing fees and the Examity proctor fee will be waived at this time. Please go to https://examity.com/accuplacer-students/ to see if your computer meets the requirements.
- All students will need to complete the steps below to receive a TSIA voucher to test through Examity.
- Complete the TSIA Pre-Assessment Activity at https://www.tsipreview.com/welcome/collegeofthemainland.
- Go to https://tsiremoteexamity.youcanbook.me and fill out all the indicated fields.
- Once your request is approved, you will receive an email from ACCUPLACER with your voucher code. This voucher code will allow you to schedule and take your exam with Examity.
- Go to https://prod.examity.com/accuplacer/ to register with Examity. Enter your first name, last name, email, and select College of the Mainland.
- You will receive a confirmation email from Examity with login credentials.
- Log in to Examity with the user ID and password provided to you and schedule your exam. If you would like to test right away, click the “on-demand” scheduling button.
- If you have questions on how Examity works, please go to https://examity.com/accuplacer-students/ to find step-by-step instructions and a Youtube video on the process.
TRIO-Student Support Services and Upward Bound
- How can I contact TRIO?
Contact TRIO directly at 409-933-8525 or by email. Staff email addresses can be found at www.com.edu/trio.
TRIO staff will also begin contacting each TRIO participant within 3 to 4 days business days.
- How can I apply to TRIO (Upward Bound or Student Support Services)?
- Go to www.com.edu/trio and click on the appropriate program.
- What if a Veteran student owes a balance due to an overpayment from the Veterans Administration and is having difficulties repaying?
- In response to the current environment with COVID-19, the VA Debt Management Center (DMC) is suspending all actions on Veteran debts under the jurisdiction of the Treasury Department for sixty days. This suspension covers institutions as well as Veterans. DMC are also suspending collection action or extending repayment terms on preexisting VA debts for Veterans, as the Veteran prefers. Veterans and family members affected by COVID-19 (Coronavirus) who have a VBA benefit debt and need temporary financial relief should contact the DMC at 1-800-827-0648 to request assistance.
- How do I use my VA educational benefits for summer and fall?
- Contact the Office for Veteran Success at firstname.lastname@example.org to have an application packet emailed. Please provide name, COM ID and telephone number in the email.
- How do I contact the Veterans Administration regarding direct deposit updates, education eligibility questions, and other questions regarding my benefits?
Students can contact the VA Regional Office at www.gibill.va.gov or call the specific division as shown below:
Monthly Verification of Attendance: 1-877-823-2378
Work Study: 1-918-781-7878
Direct Deposit: 1-877-838-2778
Other VA Benefits: 1-800-827-1000
- Where do I go for general community services?
- How do I submit a complaint?
Report a Sexual Misconduct Complaint
- What if I need to file an Incident Report for incidents of Sexual Assault, Sexual Misconduct, Sexual Harassment, Dating or Domestic Violence, and Stalking?
- To complete an Incident Report click Report a Sexual Misconduct Complaint.