COVID Financial Assistance
COVID Financial Assistance Frequently Asked Questions
If you have been financially affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, the federal government’s CARES Act has provided colleges and universities with emergency grant funding to assist with student financial needs.
- When can I apply?
- Application for the fall semester opens on September 1st and will close on December 1st. Please note that the application may close earlier if all available CARES Act funds are disbursed.
Submission of an application does not guarantee emergency grant funds. The amount of your award will be determined by requests received and funds available. Please submit your application as soon as possible to be considered.
- Where do I apply?
- You will need to sign in with your COM network login.
- Use your username, not your email address (example: cduck not firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Do I qualify?
Students must also be currently enrolled at COM to qualify and did not receive CARES Act Funds in Spring 2020 or Summer 2020.
Students must have completed their FAFSA application for the 2020-2021 school year. Only students who are or could be eligible to participate in programs in Title IV (FAFSA, Pell, student loans) and are affected by COVID-19 may receive emergency grant funds. If a student has filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), then the student has demonstrated eligibility to participate in programs; however, you may become ineligible if you fail to meet federal government requirements. For example, you have exceeded the number of hours allowed, your academic standing does not meet requirements, etc. Please see additional information below. The criteria to participate include but are not limited to the following: U.S. citizenship or eligible noncitizen; a valid Social Security number; registration with Selective Service (if the student is male); and a high school diploma, GED, or completion of high school in an approved homeschool setting.
- I didn’t get funding, what can I do?
Submission of an application does not guarantee funding. Applications have been reviewed by three different groups.
If you meet Title IV guidelines created by the Federal Government and there are funds remaining, you may receive funding.
Please review criteria below. This list is not exhaustive. Please email COVIDfunds@com.edu if you have questions or call 409-933-8810.
- What criteria will be used to determine which students will receive funding and how much they will receive?
The methods used by the institution to determine which students receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants and how much they would receive are:
Per the CARES Act, students must be eligible to receive Title IV funds to receive the grant. To be eligible for the Title IV funding and the HEERF grant, students must meet the following criteria as verified by the FAFSA and the COM Financial Aid Office:
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree or certificate program.
- Not be enrolled in secondary school.
- Not owe an overpayment on Title IV grants or loans.
- Not be in default on a Title IV loan.
- Be a U.S. citizen or national, permanent resident, or other eligible noncitizen.
- Not have a federal or state conviction for drug possession or sale, with certain time limitations.
- Filed a 2019 FAFSA application “as part of the original financial aid application process” a certification that includes:
- A statement of education purpose
- Student’s SSN.
The submitted applications will be reviewed by the CARES Act core review group who will ensure that the applications are complete and verify the following:
- Student’s mailing address;
- Student was enrolled on March 13. 2020;
- Student’s are Title IV eligible, as required;
- Student has not previously received HEERF funds for this emergency
- What can I get assistance with?
- Health Care
- Course Materials
- How will funds be awarded?
- Funds will be awarded to eligible applicants determined by the number of requests received and funds available.
- When will funds be awarded?
- Funds will begin being distribute starting May 15, 2020. Additional funding may be available in the Summer 2020, Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters.
- How will I receive my funds?
- COVID-19 funds will be distributed from COM via BankMobile. As a COM student, you are required to make a refund selection with BankMobile. In the event that you qualify for COVID-19 funding, please ensure that you have made your selection with BankMobile. If you have not, please do so as soon as possible by visiting http://bankmobiledisbursements.com/refundchoices/.
- Will I have to pay these funds back?
- Can I be awarded for this funding more than once?
- I’m trying to apply, why am I getting this message? “Something Went Wrong”
- You may be getting this message because applications won’t be open until 8 a.m. September 1, 2020 and close on December 1, 2020 for the fall semester.
- I have signed in, but cannot apply.
- This may be because applications won’t be open until 8 a.m. on September 1, 2020.
- Who should I contact if I have additional questions?
- If you have other questions, email email@example.com, or call 409-933-8810.