For Faculty and Staff
- The Campus Carry Law
- June 13, 2015 - Governor Greg Abbott signed into law Senate Bill No. 11 (S.B. 11), also known as the "campus carry" law. S.B. 11 amends Section 411.2031 of the Texas Government Code to allow carrying of handguns by license holders on community college campuses beginning on August 1, 2017. While the college president may not generally prohibit license holders from carrying concealed weapons on the campus, the law gives public colleges some discretion to regulate campus carry including designating certain areas on campus where concealed handguns are prohibited. The law authorizes the college to adopt and receive approval of its campus carry policy from the Board of Trustees by August 1, 2017.
- Current Law for Carrying Handguns on Campus
- Currently, firearms are not permitted in any college building. A person commits an offense under Texas Penal Code § 46.03 if the person possesses a firearm on the premises of the college. Premises is defined as "a building or portion of a building" and does not include "any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk, or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area." The new campus carry law that was signed by Governor Abbott on June 13, 2015 will allow persons with a state mandated license to carry (LTC) (Formerly, concealed handgun license [CHL]) to carry a concealed handgun in certain areas on campus beginning on August 1, 2017 so long as the area has not been designated by the College as a gun-free zones.
- Designation and Notice of Gun-Free Zones
- S.B. 11 requires that the College give notice to license holders for each building restricting the concealed carry of a weapon. Notice is defined under Texas Penal Code Section 30.06 to include a sign that: contains this language "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun."
- If you see someone carrying a handgun on campus
- The safest course of action is to call Campus Police at 409-933-8599 so that police can make contact with the individual.
Campus Carry Training
To be announced.