Veterans Center at COM
To further assist veterans, COM has launched a Veterans Center. With new computers being installed, a lounging area and snack bar, the space invites military and former military students to share experiences, study and meet with staff.
A One-Stop Shop for Veterans
Veterans are welcome to come in and relax, discover what benefits they qualify for, apply for financial aid and talk to an advisor.
This spring the center will add the benefits of a licensed counselor visiting once per month as well as tutoring.
COM named Military Friendly School
For five years COM has been named to the Military Friendly School list by Victory Media Inc., which reviews colleges on military support on campus and veteran graduation and job placement rates.
“Our goal is to help veterans achieve whatever educational goals they have to be successful in life,” said Detra Levige, COM Veterans Officer/ School Certifying Official. “It’s our chance to say thank you and show that we are here for them.”
The COM Veterans Center offers
- Assistance applying for VA benefits, financial aid and scholarships
- Use of center computers
- Connections to other local veterans organizations
Last year, COM Veterans Center staff
- Helped veterans with submitting proper VA documentation 1,013 times
- Assisted in 1,146 interactions with veterans, parents and children of veterans
- Facilitated 4,416 visits to use center resources