Welcome to College of the Mainland New Student Orientation
Student success, both in and out of the classroom, is our focus at COM. There’s nothing better to help you begin your journey than our New Student Orientation. This free seminar is designed to help you make a smooth transition to college life. Here you will discover what you need to do to succeed in higher education and the wide variety of COM resources and staff available to you to help you along the way.
All first-time-in-college students must attend a New Student Orientation before registering. Transfer students and returning students do not have to attend, but may if they wish to.
What to Expect:
- A guided tour of our beautiful and conveniently located campus
- A resource fair, where you will discover the resources and services that are available to you, plus receive a free T-shirt and goodies
- The opportunity to meet current students and faculty/staff who will answer all your questions and address all your concerns
- Educational planning and guided registration with COM academic advisors who will help you register for your first semester of classes
How to Register for NSO:
- Go to WebAdvisor.
- Log in or click on “What’s My User ID/COM ID?” Click on the blue button labeled “Students,” click “Academic Profile,” then choose “My Profile.”
- Write down your COM email address and your COM ID number. (You will always need them).
- Return to the main WebAdvisor menu and click on the “Continuing Education” button. Click on “Register and Pay for Continuing Education Classes.” (The class is free.) Choose the topic code NSO and click “submit.”
- Choose the day and time that fits your schedule. Space is limited, so do not wait to register.
- Finally, make sure that you have submitted your proof of meningitis vaccination (for those 22 and under), final transcripts and placement test or TAKS scores to the Admissions and Records Office. If you do not have placement test scores or TAKS scores, you must take the TSI Assessment. All items must be completed and submitted prior to attending NSO, or you will not be allowed to attend. Finally, attend prepared to plan your future. Success awaits you!