Tips for Writers
APA Style Sheet
This style sheet highlights major elements of APA that COM students are likely to use in their assignments.
Chicago (CMS) Style Sheet
This style sheet highlights major elements of Chicago Manual of Style (CMS) that COM students are likely to use in their assignments.
Need help incorporating your sources and/or making certain rhetorical moves in your paper? These templates might help!
MLA Style Sheet
This style sheet highlights major elements of MLA that COM students are likely to use in their assignments.
Writing a Resume
This tip sheet has been compiled by the staff of the Speaking, Reading, and Writing Center and is based on Peter Vogt’s “Avoid the Top 10 Resume Mistakes” on monster.com.
This checklist was compiled by the staff of the Speaking, Reading, and Writing Center. It is intended as a tool for brainstorming, organizing, composing, and editing academic writing.
Understanding your SafeAssign Session
Our goal at the Speaking, Reading and Writing Center is to empower you as a writer. In our efforts to serve students, we are currently offering SafeAssign assistance, by appointment only, to those who request it.
What is SafeAssign?
Safe Assign is a pay-to-use online service designed to prevent plagiarism by comparing submitted documents to existing academic papers, websites and articles in its extensive database in order to find matching text.
Benefits of using SafeAssign
Results can flag errors and incorrectly cited sources, which means students can make corrections and avoid plagiarism.
Not foolproof: the program makes mistakes. The program also generates a percentage number that may not accurately represent plagiarized material; therefore, students should follow instructor guidelines.
SRWC SafeAssign guidelines
- All documents are submitted as a draft, so they are not added to the SafeAssign database.
- The SRWC does not keep records of SafeAssign reports or documents.
- Tutors will only share printed reports or any kind of information about documents with writers requesting assistance.
- All individual and group SafeAssign appointments must be made with Supervisor, Lisa Hacker or Professional Tutor, Diana North. Appointments made through WCOnline must list group member names in the comments section.
- All members must attend sessions on group papers, in person, no exceptions.
- Each session requires a full hour, to include the SafeAssign report generated at the end of the scheduled appointment.
- Students who have previously submitted their documents to SafeAssign through Blackboard should bring their reports to the session, if possible.