Office Management Program at COM
Ensuring co-workers’ success, executive assistants and office managers support their employers, prepare complex documents and manage records. Their skills make them in-demand employees at businesses and nonprofit organizations.
About the Program
Preparing students for versatile careers as executive assistants, administrative assistants or office managers, the COM Office Management Program helps students gain business, organizational and technology skills. The program is designed for those who want to update their skills on current technology or to prepare for a promotion.
The Office Management Program is designed to provide the student with skills and knowledge applicable to a wide range of business technology or office management positions. Business technology is the business practice of converging technology and business strategy to use technology as a strategic development tool. The emphasis is on executive-level support of business strategy and understanding of the capabilities and availability of contemporary technology to solve business-related problems.
Students may earn a two or three-semester certificate and swiftly enter the workforce or expand their skills with the two-year degree. If planning to transfer, students should check with the university to see whether courses will count toward a bachelor’s degree in business.
Offerings for Office Management
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration with Emphasis in Office Management
- Administrative Support Certificate
- Executive Assistant Certificate
- Medical Administrative Support Certificate
The Administrative Support Certificate is taken over two semesters. Following the completion of the third semester of required courses, students may earn the Executive Assistant Certificate. Students who wish to focus their careers in the rapidly expanding medical field may pursue a three-semester certificate in Medical Administrative Support, which follows a similar course of study but focuses on medical content. Students may complete the Associate of Applied Science in business administration with an emphasis in office management over approximately four semesters.
Why the COM Business Program?
- Small classes are offered at a lower cost than at a university.
- Earn a certificate in one year or continue another year for a degree.
- Professors with diverse business experience guide you in career planning.
- Co-ops and internships are available to students wanting job experience before graduation.
- Designed for working students, the program can be completed entirely online.
The COM Business Program is offered at a lower cost than university programs. Students may also receive scholarships and financial aid. For scholarship information, visit www.com.edu/scholarships or call 409-933-8508. For details on financial aid, visit www.com.edu/financial-aid or call 409-933-8274.
Associate of Arts in business graduates are prepared to transfer to a university while Associate of Applied Science in business graduates are ready for the workforce with their expertise gained in concentrated business courses.
How to Begin
1. Complete the application at www.com.edu/apply and send transcripts (and meningitis vaccination records if under 22) to COM.
2. Take placement testing.
3. If you are a first-time college student, attend a New Student Orientation before registering. Transfer students meet with an advisor before registering at www.com.edu/register.