College of the Mainland is committed to ensuring that all high school graduates demonstrate and understand the skills necessary to successfully enroll in postsecondary education. To achieve this goal, COM has partnered with Hitchcock, La Marque, Santa Fe and Texas City Independent School Districts and Clear Creek High School, Clear Springs High School and Ed White Memorial High School in the nationally recognized College Connection program to provide a seamless transition to higher education.
This partnership offers every high school senior the opportunity for admission to a college. It connects students and parents with higher education options and assistance in navigate the application and financial aid processes.
College Connection helps students with
- Application: It helps students complete the college admissions forms and other applications.
- Orientation/Advisement/Assessment: It provides orientation and individualized advising about course work and testing at no cost to the student.
- Financial Aid/Career Counseling: It assists with applying for financial aid, scholarships and career planning regardless of the college students plan to attend.
- Registration: It provides an opportunity for students who choose to attend College of the Mainland to register for classes.
In order for students to be successful in the college application process, parent participation is important, especially in the financial aid sessions, and strongly encouraged.
College Connection benefits
- The program offers help in completing the FASFA, which students can use in applying for financial aid at any college or university.
- Students receive assessment test scores that they can use in applying to other colleges.
- Students who attend elsewhere may register and take summer classes at COM that will transfer.
- Upon completion of the program prior to high school graduation, students who have not applied to or been accepted to another college will be admitted to COM and be eligible to register for classes.
- At either graduation or awards ceremonies, each participating graduate will receive an official letter of acceptance.
All that you need to participate is your parents' permission!
Need more information? Click on a school's link below:
- Clear Creek High School
- Clear Springs High School
- Ed White Memorial Hgh School
- La Marque
- Santa Fe
- Texas City
Listed below are additional websites that can help you make informed decisions about colleges and careers:
- About.com: College Admissions
- ACT, Inc.: A Student Site for ACT Test Takers
- College for All Texans
- CollegeBoard: College Planning Made Easy
- FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- FastWeb: Scholarships, Financial Aid and Colleges
- FinAid! Financial Aid, College Scholarships and Student Loans
- HBCU: Historically Black Colleges and Universities Community
- Kaplan, Inc.: Test Prep and Higher Education Resources
- Peterson's: Search for Colleges and Universities
- The Princeton Review: Test Prep
- U.S. News & World Report: Education Center