College of the Mainland is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees and certificates.
Accreditation is an independent review of an institution’s educational programs to determine whether they meet set quality standards. Becoming accredited is not an easy task. Schools and programs that receive accreditation have proven their worth as legitimate teaching institutions.
How does COM’s accreditation impact students? It means that the College adheres to certain standards of excellence. Accreditation allows the College to participate in government financial aid programs. Also, it is necessary for students to transfer their college credits or to take a state licensure exam.
Below is a list of COM’s accreditations – both as a community college and for several of its programs:
Overall College accreditation
- The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
- Association of Texas Colleges and Universities
- Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education
- Texas Cosmetology Commission
- Texas Education Agency
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
- Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas
- National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)
Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of College of the Mainland. The Commission is to be contacted only if there is evidence that appears to support the institution’s significant noncompliance with a requirement or standard.
In addition, the College holds active memberships with the following organizations:
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
- American Association of Community and Junior Colleges
- Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges
- Southern Association of Community and Junior Colleges
- National Council for Continuing Education and Training
- National Council for Occupational Education
- Texas Junior College Association
- Gulf Coast Intercollegiate Conference
- Texas Art Schools Association
- Texas Association of Music Schools
- Texas Association of Continuing Education (TACE)
- Texas Public Community/Junior College Association
- Texas Community College Teachers Association
- Texas Association for Community Service and Continuing Education (TACSCE)