Faculty and Staff
Beyond providing services to students, the Career Services Department serves as a resource for COM faculty and staff.
The Career Services Department is happy to provide classroom presentations on a variety of topics. To request a presentation, simply submit the completed request form to the Career Services Department. To help ensure that we can accommodate your request, please submit it at least one week prior to the desired date.
Writing Letters of Recommendation
It is likely you will be asked by a student to write a letter of recommendation. Here are some tips to aid in the process:
- If you cannot write a positive letter of recommendation or if you have not had enough contact with the student to accurately describe his or her qualities, decline to write the letter.
- If you agree to write the letter, ask the student for any information that can help you write it—résumé, transcripts, information specific to the reason for the letter (job description, scholarship information, etc.)
- In the letter, indicate your relationship to the student, including how long and in what capacity you have known him or her.
- If you taught the student in a class, compare the student's academic performance with that of his or her peers.
- Connect the student's experience and characteristics to the position, scholarship or college for which the student is applying. When possible, include examples.
- Indicate how you can be contacted for further information with address, phone number and email address.
- The letter should not be longer than one page, should be written on departmental stationery and should include your title and signature.
- Make sure you are aware of the deadline and where the finished letter needs to be sent.
Check out the NACE guidelines for additional information on writing letters of recommendation.
Job Search Assistance for Students
Employers from throughout the region regularly request our assistance in filling their open positions and often they are looking for students in specific majors.
If you would like to be notified when positions are listed that are appropriate to your discipline, please contact the Career Services Department at 409-933-8524.
All positions submitted to the Career Services Department are posted online and can be accessed at www.com.edu/careerservices. Please encourage your students to check the site often as it is updated on an almost-daily basis.