COM Board of Trustees Approve Presidential Search Criteria
The College of the Mainland Board of Trustees voted unanimously to approve the Presidential Search Criteria in its meeting at 2 p.m. on Friday June 8. The criteria were developed by the 16 member presidential search committee after considering the input provided in two open forums on June 7, which were attended by more than 50 people from faculty, staff, students, and community. The search committee met Friday morning for several hours to finalize the proposed criteria to recommend to the Board of Trustees.
Presidential Search Criteria
The College of the Mainland Board of Trustees invites applications and nominations for the position of President. The Board seeks a proven leader with a commitment to the community college mission and vision.
College of the Mainland is a learning-centered, comprehensive community college dedicated to student success and the intellectual and economic prosperity of the diverse communities we serve.
College of the Mainland will be a valued and vital community partner by striving to enrich our expanding community and preparing our students to learn, work, and live in a diverse, dynamic, and global environment.
The president of College of the Mainland will be a leader committed to successfully addressing the following opportunities:
- Positioning the College as the premier provider of workforce training and academic excellence for the region
- Expanding the College’s relationship with K-12 partners throughout the region
- Demonstrating leadership that will establish and maintain a strong partnership to the workforce community
- Bringing together all campus constituents to accomplish student success
- Collaborating with the community to promote a successful bond
EXPECTED QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
The College of the Mainland Board of Trustees seeks a qualified person who possesses personal and professional characteristics and experiences consistent with the following profile.
- A record of successful senior leadership and management experience in a higher education setting
- The ability to inspire and lead a diverse organization in developing and implementing strategic initiatives
- A demonstrated track record of valuing employees and fostering a culture of success
- A record of successful fund-raising and demonstrated experience with foundations and grant development
- Demonstrated success in working with the business community to identify and address workforce needs
- Familiarity with advanced technology and distance learning
- An open communication style with strong speaking, writing and listening skills
- Embraces and fosters diversity across the college
- Understands and supports innovative academic initiatives designed to ensure student success
- Familiarity with providing leadership for the college with the reaccreditation process
- Commitment to shared governance with experience in organizational assessment, strategic planning and evaluation, and institutional effectiveness
- Demonstrated record of managing complex budgets with an understanding of federal and state funding regulations
- Ability to attract and promote success for a richly diverse student population
- Successful record of conflict resolution and consensus building
- Ability to promote organizational efficiency
- Promote Continuing Education and Professional Development
- Earned doctorate or terminal degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 5 years successful experience at the Vice President or President/Chancellor level in an institution of higher education
To ensure full consideration, application materials should be received no later than August 31, 2012. This is a confidential search process.
To apply, please submit these four (4) separate documents:
- A letter of application that succinctly addresses the opportunities and challenges identified and how your experience and professional qualifications prepare you to serve the needs of COM (not to exceed 5 pages)
- A current resume including an email address and cellular telephone number
- A reference list with the names, home and business telephone numbers, and email addresses of eight references: three supervisors (one board member), two direct reports and three faculty members from current or former institutions
- Candidate Cover Sheet which is a two-page synopsis of your professional career. You can download the template for this form at http://www.com.edu/presidentialsearch.
These four (4) documents will be the only application information presented to the Search Committee.
Electronic copies of the application package must be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information, nominations or inquiries please contact:
Dr. Preston Pulliams
Gold Hill Associates
COM Presidential Search Forum Notes
Below are the notes from the two presidential search forums held at College of the Mainland on June 7, 2012.